Friday, January 9, 2009

Missing

More miles passed beneath our feet since I last wrote. Lady Kristen and Maryam traveled 4.2 miles, Lady Sara and Clarence traveled 4, Sanako and Hassan made .6 of a mile as did I and Clyde. This made our total 9.4 miles this time. Excellent mileage, but we would have done more except for a puzzling and somewhat distressing situation that has arisen.

Three of our bearers have disappeared, one each night. No one heard anything. Their belongings were left. Sir Sanako, Lady Roen, and I followed the tracks of one bearer. He walked into the desert -- the trail was plain -- and then the trail vanished. It was as if he has been spirited away.

I have ordered the remaining bearers to move their tents closer to ours and that a watch be kept by three men at all times. No one disappeared last night so perhaps these precautions were useful.

Franklyn, our headman, says they may have been taken by wild lions or perhaps they went mad and wandered away. He seems strangely unconcerned. I am not sure I trust him.

It is late. I must rest before my watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment