Monday, January 12, 2009

The shimmering sands

Lady Sara and her Clarence led the mileage this time with 2 miles to her credit. Sanako and Hassan and I and Clyde both added a mile so our total is 4 miles. Mile by mile, step by step, we travel to Jericho.

No other bearers have gone missing. Perhaps it was just wild animals that carried them off or perhaps they did wander into the unforgiving desert, but I remain uneasy and alert as do the others. We continue to share a watch at night, although our headman Franklyn says it is unnecessary. I do not like Franklyn, but I am careful to not let it show. He is competent and seems loyal, but at times, I catch him looking at the horizon almost as if he is waiting for someone. Or something.

The White Road continues to lead us on. I wonder who built this road and why. The Jigmap doesn't show it leading to anywhere, just a blank place on the map marked by dragons. What ancient people created it? Where did it go? Such mysteries may never be solved.

Last night, the full moon cast a pure light across the shimmering sands. It was eerily quiet and breathtaking beautiful. We all stood for a time and drank in the beauty. When we leave the desert, I will always remember that night and the glorious vista spread before us.

I must close now. I am taking the first watch tonight with Lady Roen. I trust we will have an uneventful time.

5 comments:

  1. drama and i need to add 3 miles, i would like to point out that i thought drama was with child but it seems that it might just be easy living, while dissapointed i want to view it as a better chance to make it all the way. ( my mare saw the vet and we do not think she is preg..just a slight chance still)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you all would have a weary, wayward, traveler, I (and my camel Frank) would like to join you. I average about 1.6 miles per day... Oh, the name is Bill and the way the ancient mystics contact me is: whteagle2003@yahoo.com You can also check out my blog at Bennett 6... here on the googley thing. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roen, your three miles will be added tonight when I post the next installment.

    Bill, glad to have you! Post your mileage in comments starting from today when you joined the Caravan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.4 miles yesterday... put that in your blog and post it! (gotta do the "wobbly-headed-chicken-neck" thing while saying that)

    ReplyDelete