Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Traveling the White Road

We have traveled 11 miles toward Jericho since last we spoke! I am delighted with our progress.

This total was helped by the welcome addition of the charming Lady Kirsten and her camel Maryam who joined us on the White Road. They added 3.2 miles to our total. Lady Coral and Penguin bought in another 3 miles. Lady Sara and Clarence walked the road for 1.5 miles while Sir Sanako and Hassan and I and Clyde walked 1.65 miles each. With such amazing mileage, Jericho doesn't seem so far away today.

While pleased with our progress, I am concerned about our bearers. They remain uneasy about the White Road, yet when I question them, they are unable to tell me why. Or they won't. There are many strange religions and philosophies in these countries, some darker than dark. Still, our headman Franklyn assures me that it is nothing to worry about. "I will beat them if they falter," he said, evidently expecting me to be pleased by this. Perhaps he was joking. Perhaps not.

Last night we heard the howling of some beast, perhaps a wolf, although they are rare in these lands. It was far off and our camels did not seem concerned, but I was grateful for the warmth and light of the campfire.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment